Apr 20, 2009

More Boxee Love - My BoxeeBox

Okay, so to alleviate the issues from my previous post, I'm building a "new" BoxeeBox for use as my primary Media Center. Here are the parts I'm getting:
Several GREAT features of this motherboard:
  • Integrated 780G chipset (which includes the Radeon HD3200) and is discussed in-depth at Tom's Hardware Guide.
  • HD3200 features an embedded Universal Video Decoder (UVD) providing hardware decoding support for MPEG-2, H.264 and VC-1!!! Given this sort of hardware support, Tom's said that you could even use an AMD Sempron 3500+ to play back Full-HD.
  • HDMI Output direct to HDTV
  • eSATA connection for fast access to external storage
Also, on a whim, I saw a great deal on a refurb Sony Blu-Ray drive at Buy.com ($69.99)and so I picked one up. The Blu-Ray drive got here late last week, but the rest of the parts aren't scheduled to appear until Tuesday/Wednesday. I'll fill you guys in with a more detailed report, once I get the Case/MB/CPU in-hand & start the build!

No comments: