Oct 27, 2009

My new obsession? The Droid!

Okay, it's finally time for me to carry on about my newest obsession, the Google Android based group of phones scheduled to hit Verizon soon™. What was initially thought to be campaign aimed at the Motorola Droid (a.k.a. Tao/Sholes). However, it’s been recently discovered that it’s actually a full “marketing blitz” for a range of Android OS phones on “Big Red”.

Known so far:
Motorola Droid
HTC Droid Eris (re-brand of HTC Hero)

Rumored:
Motorola Calgary (Running Moto BLUR UI)
HTC Passion (Possibly the Dragon & running a Snapdragon 1GHz processor)

But that’s not of concern to me, I’ve got my eyes on the Moto Droid, it’s a wonderful bit of tech & may be enough to make me learn Java, just to be able to write apps for it!

image

It’s also supposed to come with this sexy dock, that turns it into an alarm clock! Woot!!!

image

The kicker for all of this is that it’s supposed to NOT be locked down by Verizon like all of their non-smartphone offerings.

So, needless to say, I’m really “geeking out” about this & can’t wait until tomorrow morning, when all will be revealed!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Yo, Ian! I don't have the Motorola Droid, but they are one of the phone choices offered to employees at my company. A co-worker has one, and it makes my iPhone-loving self jealous. We do a lot of Python dev, and that is one of the available languages in the Droid. It's really, really cool. My co-worker is a linux fanatic and loves that the Droid natively supports his ogg music files. Oh, and that little stand is definitely sexy. I wish I had something like that for my iPhone.

The multi-tasking REALLY is a huge advantage. There are iPhone apps that are kind of useless because you can't move out of the app and keep them running--Pandora for example.